I'm talkin' baseball
Rocky, Norm and Willie
McAullife, Gates and Billy
Rootin' Hef, Freehan, Harvey Kuenn
Lolich in the series winning three
By Terry Cashman
*Michael Stephen Lolich (born September 12, 1940 in Portland, Oregon) is a former Major League Baseball pitcher from 1962 until 1979, playing the majority of his career with the Detroit Tigers.
Lolich is best known for his performance in the 1968 World Series, when he allowed just five runs in three complete games, winning all three including the final and decisive game. Mickey also helped himself at the plate in game 2 when he hit the first and only home run of his 16 year career. He remains the last pitcher to win three complete games in a single World Series, and was the last to win three at all until Randy Johnson did that in 2001. Lolich was given the World Series MVP Award for his superb performance.
Lolich was a picture of consistency, winning 14 or more games for ten consecutive seasons, including 25 in 1971 and 22 in 1972. He also struck out 200 or more batters seven times during his career, and ranks third among lefthanders (behind Steve Carlton and Randy Johnson) in career strikeouts with 2,832.
After suffering through the 1975 season, in which he lost 18 games, the Tigers traded him to the New York Mets with outfielder Billy Baldwin in exchange for star outfielder Rusty Staub and pitcher Bill Laxton. In 1976, Lolich's slump continued with the Mets, as he won just 8 games while losing 13, leading him to retire.
Lolich was deemed to be right-handed, but a tricycle accident that occurred while Lolich was young forced him to adapt to using his left hand. This would come to include baseball, once he began to play it.
Lolich's Team Records
Lolich ranks among the Tigers' all time leaders in many categories, including the following:
- 2,679 strikeouts is #1 on the Tigers all time list
- 39 shutouts is #1 on the Tigers all time list
- 459 games started is #1 on the Tigers all time list
- 329 home runs allowed is #1 on the Tigers all time list
- 109 wild pitches is #2 on the Tigers all time list (behind Jack Morris)
- 207 wins is #3 on the Tigers all time list (behind Hooks Dauss and George Mullin)
- 508 games is #3 on the Tigers all time list (behind John Hiller and Hooks Dauss
- 3,361 innings pitched is #3 on Tigers all time list (behind George Mullin and Hooks Dauss)
- Lolich holds the record in the MLB for strike outs by a left hander in the American League .
- Lolich is the only left hander to start, finish and win three complete World Series games.
* - Bio from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia